Mount Musala – the top of the Balkans and the highest peak in Rila Mountains – is a challenging objective to climb in winter. But the effort is paid with the great views of the snowy mountains around. We offer a two-day itinerary – ascent of Mount Musala. The program is suitable for people in very good physical condition, with some previous hiking experience, and having all the required equipment (see below).
Day 1: Starting point is the Borovets ski resort (1350 m, 1,15 hours drive from Sofia). We take the gondola lift up to about 2400 m, from where a couple of hours trek takes us to Ledenoto Ezero Chalet at 2700 m., our overnight accommodation. If the chalet is not working, as it happens occasionally in winter, we’ll stay in Musala Hut.
Day 2: Early morning ascent to Musala (2925 m.) and descend to Borovets (possible to use the gondola or on foot) in the afternoon. Drive back to Sofia.
Remark – it is possible to use public transport to and From Borovets to Sofia.
- hiking boots – waterproof and warm, to cover the ankle, with stiff sole, compatible with your crampons;
- crampons compatible to your boots (may organize hire);
- water and windproof jacket with hood;
- water and windproof pants;
- warm hat, thin pair of gloves and a pair of warm mittens;
- thermal underwear, light down jacket or a warm fleece;
- sun protection – sun cream, sun glasses, sun hat;
- snowshoes and trekking poles – we can organize hire;
- water bottle or, preferably, flask – 1l;
- snacks, lunch pack;
- travel liner for the night in the hut.
Remark – possessing a valid insurance, that covers mountain rescue service is required in order to participate in this program.