Bansko is mainly famous as the main and most modern ski resort in Bulgaria, visited by many Bulgarian and foreign tourists. Actually Bansko is located between the main mountain ranges of the country – Rila, Pirin and the Rhodope Mountains. They’re all different as landscapes and offer different challenges for those who attempt them in winter. The number of activities one can practice here in winter is not limited to skiing only. We believe that those who visit the area miss a lot if they don`t try to go away from the hassle of the resort, even for a day. The best and easiest way to see the beauty of the winter mountains close by is the snowshoe walking.
While Pirin is a severe, steep mountain with rising up to 2914 meters slopes, the south sides of Rila are more gentle and easy for snowshoeing. Rhodopes are unique with their position between the higher mountains, with great views both to Rila and Pirin. The old villages, where people keep the same lifestyle as 100 years ago, are the other attraction in this range.
|Bansko Snowshoeing Day Trip||Price per person:|
|4-7 pax||70 EUR|
|3 pax||80 EUR|
|2 pax||105 EUR|
|1 pax||195 EUR|
Price includes: The transfers from/to Bansko, snowshoes and sticks rental, certified mountain guide rate, all the expenses of the guide, insurance, all taxes.
Not included: Packed lunch, personal equipment, lift ticket (if applicable).
Equipment needed: Get your sun glasses, sun cream and sun hat, also warm hat and gloves. Don`t forget to take a water bottle, some snacks and a sandwich. Most important – you need proper winter walking boots – warm and waterproof and a pair of gaiters, also water/windproof jacket with hood and pants.
You may find a list of our routes around Bansko below. Please contact us in order to choose the best itinerary for you, according to your level, the current season and snow conditions.
Snowshoeing Day Trips from Bansko:
- Ascent of Mount Bezbog in Pirin Mountains on snowshoes – this tour starts from a relatively high altitude – 2140 m – at the top lift station of the Bezbog chair lift, 40 min drive from Bansko. The ascent takes about 2 hours, while we gain +400 m of vertical elevation. The route is suitable for novices in snowshoeing and doable even if the snow conditions in the lower parts of the mountains are not good. The views from the top of the mountain are spectacular and include all the Pirin Mountains, as well as much of Rila and Rhodope Mountains.
- Snowshoeing walk to Vihren Hut and Baykusheva Mura – easy walk, suitable for novices. It starts from the ski area of Bansko and goes further near the oldest tree in the mountains of Bulgaria – Baykusheva Mura – a 1300 years old conifer. Further we ascent to Vihren Hut at 1950 m. About 300 m of vertical ascent, 30 min away from Bansko.
- Snowshoeing around Ortsevo Village in Rhodope Mountains – many claim that this is the highest village in Bulgaria, located at around 1600 m above the sea. Beside the isolated area, not popular among the tourists at all, the village offers dramatic views towards Pirin Mountains. Easy treks, up to +300 m of elevation gain – suitable for novices and walks in leisure pace. About 1 hour drive from Bansko.
- Snowshoeing in Rila Mountains, above the small ski resort of Semkovo. The resort is located at about 1600 m. With around +800 m of ascent through the beautiful conifer forests we`ll reach the main ridge of Rila Mountains and enjoy the great views of the highest mountain range of the country. About 1 hour drive from Bansko, may include also visit to the Bears Sanctuary in Belitsa village.
- Ascent of Mount Hvoynati in Pirin Mountains on snowshoes – this trek is tougher, with +1000 m of elevation gain and goes through the valley of Bunderitsa and further up to the peak. Not suitable for novices or if you are not in very good shape. The views include a close by of the highest peak of Pirin – Mount Vihren, and the sea of sharp jagged rocky edges of Pirin.